- Meeting next week at 9:00am at the New Jersey State Museum
- Need cell numbers from each of you for travel forms
- How many of you drive?
Let’s go around the room and introduce ourselves; name, year, what do you hope to get from this course?
- 8:30 am – meet at AIMM 222
- 8:40 am – Drive over to NJSM
- 9 am to noon – TCNJ class time at NJSM (STEAM Center reserved on EMS)
- 9 am to 9:30 am – Beth C. introduces NJSM covering mission, history, audience and how exhibitions are realized.
- 9:30 am to 10:30 am – Paula presents Collections Management with possible tour of compact storage
- 10:30 am to noon – Mark Thompson teaches rest of class in STEAM Center
- noon – drive back to TCNJ
Open Content & Big Data
- Create a Google Drive presentation and name is “Design Notebook”
- Read The “Open” Economy: filling the data pipeline in TreadsWatch 2015 pp. 9-14
- Read Data is the New Oil in TreadsWatch 2014 pp. 24-31
- Read Open Content in the 2012 Horizon Report Museum Edition pp. 23-26
- Create a slide and name it “Open Content & Big Data”
- From the museum exhibition examples described in the reading, which ones do you find most interesting? Write a paragraph or two describing the exhibits and why they appeal to you.
NJSM Cultural History Collections
- Review the New Jersey State Museum Pretty Big Things & Civil War Flags Exhibition pages and the exhibition labels linked to on the Syllabus.
- Create another slide in your Design Notebook and title it “NJSM Cultural History Collections”
- Think about your reading on open content & big data and how it might be used to enhance the Pretty Big Things and/or Civil War Flags exhibits. Write a paragraph or two outlining your ideas.
Submitting Your Work
This week’s homework assignment is due next week before class. When you’ve completed them, post a comment on this page (First Day of Class), including a link to your Design Notebook.