- Cellphones for Women in Developing Nations Aid Ascent from Poverty
- This week – Concept presentations to Partner Organizations
- This week – Freedom Fone overview, setting up FrontlineSMS, FrontlineSync
- Next week, 4/13 – Open Discussion, Prototype Development
Partner Organization Pages
Let’s take a minute to review the Partner Organization Pages.
- Are the contacts correct?
- Send me a link to your unified Vision Document to share with your Partner Organization on their partner page. This is a great way to collect comments.
- How else can we use these pages to engage our Partner Organizations?
Let’s take a few minutes to share some of your Design Notebook entries from last week about alternatives to Twilio in your Partner Organization’s region.
Freedom Fone Overview
What is Freedom Fone?
Freedom Fone is a voice content & messaging management system that uses FreeSwitch and a CakePHP front end to manage IVR and SMS messages.
What Features Does Freedom Fone Support?
With Freedom Phone, you can create cell phone Polls, Voice Menus, and Leave-a-message applications. Much of what you built using Twilio can be constructed within the GUI Freedom Fone interface – in particular the recorded IVR applications.
Freedom Fone Demonstration
Let’s take a few minutes to try out an example Freedom Fone Voice Menu and walk through the GUI interface.
For more info on installing, configuring and using Freedom Fone, check out the User Guide.
FrontlineSMS Setup Walkthrough
- Download FrontlineSMS
- Connect a compatible cellular device/service
FrontlineSync is an Android app that allows you to sync your SMS messages from your Android phone to FrontlineSMS.
Let’s check out the FrontlineSync Overview on FrontlineSMS.
To set it up:
- (IMPORTANT) Clear your phone’s SMS history
- Launch FrontlineSMS
- Use the Settings menu to navigate to Connections
- Click on the Connect to a Mobile Network button
- Select the FrontlineSync radio button & Next
- Click Next
- Click Create
- Download the FrontlineSync Android app to your phone
- Follow the configuration steps
Once configured and connected, you can configure your Android phone to send and receive SMS messages for FrontlineSMS.
IMPORTANT NOTE – FrontlineSync will sync ALL messages between your phone and FrontlineSMS, so the phone should be dedicated to the service you’re setting up. Clear your SMS history before setting it up, otherwise you might spam everyone in your existing history.
Partner Organization Concept Presentations
- Please present your project concepts from your Vision Documents to your Partner Organizations before we meet next week.
- Next week we’ll post your Vision Documents to your project pages and then share those pages with your Partner Organizations.
- Create a new page in your Design Notebook and label it “Partner Organization Feedback” and today’s date.
- Make note of the feedback your team receives when you present your concept to your Partner Organization
- Create another page in your Design Notebook and label it “Cellphones & Poverty” and today’s date.
- Describe how the service you are developing with your Partner Organization might help alleviate poverty in their community.
*Assignments are due before class begins on Mondays. Be prepared to present your work in class for discussion.