- Snapchat Spectacles
- Leaflet 1.0 released
- Guest Speaker: Cameron Uhleg, Principal of Camagine Design
- Visiting Sarnoff Collection to see demonstration of previous class projects
Let’s take a few minutes to review some of your design notebooks.
Augmented & Virtual Reality
What is Augmented Reality?
Reality ———-> AR ———-> Virtual Reality
- Feature Recognition – markers, QR codes, images, colors, etc.
- Positioning Data – location, orientation
- What kinds of devices have cameras, GPS & accelerometers?
Augmented Reality & the Web
Why use it in Museums?
- In exhibition space – provide additional levels of interpretation
- Outside the exhibition space – extend exhibition reach and provide additional levels of interpretation for digital/print exhibit media
Some AR Toolkit Options
Exercise (time permitting)
- Break up into teams of 3 or 4
- Head over to the Aurasma website and signup
- Using Aurasma Studio, create a a new Aura
- The follow the instructions to create a demo AR app
- Use photos or images from the Sarnoff Collection to create your demos
Natural User Interfaces
- Read the 2012 NMC Horizon Report pp. 31-35
- Create a new page in your Design Notebook with the heading “Natural User Interfaces”
- Take a look at some of the examples of natural user interfaces currently used in museums on pp. 33 & 34 of the Horizon Report and write a paragraph about your favorite example.
- Can you find any other examples of the “Natural User Interfaces” being used “in the wild”? Jot down a brief description & a link to what you find in your Design Notebook.
NJSM Archaeology/Ethnography Collections
- Create a new page in your Design Notebook and title it “Project Story ideas”
- Read “On Objects and Storytelling”
- Review your notes from our two visits to the NJSM, the A Much Moved People, Cultures in Competition, and New Jersey’s Original People collections, and Design Notebook entries so far this semester
- Write out three story ideas you think would be compelling for patrons of the NJSM – just a sentence describing the story – you can share more details in class next week
Submitting Your Work
This week’s homework assignment is due next week before class. When you’ve completed them, post a comment on this page (Augmented Reality), including a link to your Design Notebook.