- Dust or Magic in 2 weeks on Nov 3rd
- Midterm status reports due this week – please make sure you’re up-to-date on your Design Notebooks and Project Canvases
- Let’s talk about next semester
- Next week – budgets & expenses
Let’s take a few minutes to review some of your Design Notebooks.
- Sound Decision
- Junior UX Designer Pains: The First Job
- Gamify Your Home Water Use
- Amazon Robotics
- CS-NYC Education Meetup
- The Human Cloud: A New World of Work
- Food Waste Innovation: From Farm to Fork
- 15 Best Freelance Websites
Let’s take a look at the project canvas template.
Problem & Existing Alternatives Customer Segments & Early Adopters (Target Audience) Unique Value Proposition & High Level Concept Solution Channels
- Revenue Streams – what’s in it for you?
- Cost Structure
- Key Metrics of Success
- Unfair Advantage
What’s a revenue stream?
For our purposes, let’s think of this as any kind of remuneration for your efforts. This could be a job, an investor, a customer, happy parents, a good grade, etc.
Take a few minutes to think about what you would like to get in return for all your efforts this semester and next developing your senior thesis.
- Make a list of everything you’d like to get in return for your project
- Order the list in terms of what’s most important to least important
- Try to assign a numeric value to each reward; i.e. if you hope to get a job out of it, how much should that job pay? Investors? How much investment are you looking for? Customers? How much should they pay you for your service?
- How can you find out what the going rates are for jobs in your field (hint: Glassdoor)? Looking for customers? How much do your existing alternatives charge for their services? Investors? How much money have your existing alternatives raised?
Please read Junior UX Designer Pains: The First Job
- Create a new slide in your Design Notebooks and title it “Dream Job”
- Write a brief paragraph describing your dream job – what would you be doing? Where would it be? Would you be working at a big company? A small company? Your own company?
- Create an account on Glassdoor.com
- Do a few searches on Glassdoor for job titles you’d like to have
- What’s the average salary for that job title in the location you’d like to work?
- Check out Money.com’s cost of living calculator
- Input the average salary figure you found on Glassdoor.com into the calculator along with your current city and the location of your dream job
- What’s the cost of living in that location?
- Update your project Canvas with your list of things you hope to earn as a result of your Senior Thesis project